Portland Psychiatric Disability Attorney
One of the first questions people often ask me when considering a claim for Social Security disability or Supplemental Security Income benefits is whether their specific medical condition qualifies for benefits under Social Security law.
Mental/Psychological Disorders That Qualify for Benefits
While the Social Security Administration may eventually consider numerous contributing factors in considering whether to grant your claim, it starts with a predetermined list of “approved” medical issues. Many people suffering from mental illness and psychological and emotional problems are surprised to learn that their disorder does qualify sufferers for benefits. These disorders include:
- Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD) including battered-wife syndrome
- Depression and manic depression
- Schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Autism and Asperger’s syndrome
- Learning disabilities, including Dyslexia, attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Mental retardation
- Personality Disorder e.g. Borderline personality disorder (BPD) and those Not Otherwise Specified (NOS)
- Addictions, especially if the sufferer is no longer engaged in substance abuse
- Victims of traumatic brain injury (TBI) and the mental, psychological and emotional problems that can result
- Other mental and psychological disorders identified in the DSMIV-TR Manual of Psychiatric Diagnoses
Portland SSD and SSI Attorney Richard A. Sly has handled hundreds of Social Security benefits claims and appeals for victims of mental illness and psychological and emotional problems.
Are you or a family member considering filing a claim for Social Security disability or Supplemental Security Income benefits? Contact an attorney with over 30 years of experience. Contact lawyer Richard A. Sly for a free consultation regarding your claim.
We are experienced in handling almost every type of mental illness and psychological issue, and can provide personal, committed and knowledgeable representation from your initial application to your final appeals before an administrative law judge and the appeals counsel in Virginia.
Contact a Portland Social Security Benefits Attorney
If you have questions regarding Social Security Disability and Supplemental Security Income law, contact us. We offer free initial consultations, are conveniently located in downtown Portland near public transportation, and work exclusively on a contingency fee basis, so that you pay nothing out of pocket. Contact us online or call us at 503-224-0436.