Cancer is a qualifying medical condition for federal disability benefits, and the Social Security Administration (SSA) officially classifies cancer as a malignant neoplastic disease (13.00). Some of the specific types of cancer that will likely entitle affected individuals for disability benefits include (but are not limited to) lung cancer, skin cancer, breast cancer, liver cancer and brain cancer.
When reviewing claims for disability benefits associated with cancer, the SSA considers the following factors:
- The type of cancer an applicant has
- The extent and severity of the cancer (namely, whether the cancer has spread to multiple organs and the stage of cancer that an applicant has)
- The length of time the individual has had cancer
- The individual’s response to any treatments he has received
- Any side effects that may be associated with the cancer treatments.
Evidence Required by the SSA
In order to qualify for disability benefits for cancer, applicants will generally have to provide official medical documentation that verifies the nature, extent and severity of their cancer. Some of the specific medical documents that this may include can be:
- Lab reports associated with biopsies
- Operative notes
- Pathology reports
- Documents related to the applicants’ medical history
- Medical reports related to the treatments that have been administered to date.
Filing a Disability Claim? Here’s What You Need to Know…
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with any type of cancer, working with an experienced attorney will be crucial to ensuring that your disability benefits claim is not unnecessarily delayed or denied. This is because:
- The Social Security system and disability claims process is inherently complicated.
- One mistake on your paperwork, filing your claim or at any step along the way can have serious impacts on your claim.
- Such mistakes cause about 65 percent of all new disability claims to be denied each year.
Portland Social Security Disability and SSI Lawyer at the Law Firm of Richard A. Sly
Richard A. Sly is an esteemed Portland Social Security Disability and SSI lawyer who has been dedicated to helping his clients navigate the Social Security system and obtain the federal disability benefits they deserve for more than 30 years. When you choose to work with Richard A. Sly, you can rest assured that he will:
- Help you build the strongest possible case so that you have the best chances of securing benefits the first time you present your case
- Handle your appeals case (if your former claim has been denied) with the skill and attention it deserves
- Collect all necessary evidence to strengthen your claim (including doctors’ reports, medical history documentation, statements from family members and co-workers, etc.)
- Present your case and advocate your rights in any necessary setting (including before the Social Security Administration, their Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR), their Appeals Council and in the U.S. District and Circuit Courts)
- Work diligently to build you the strongest possible cases.
At the Law Office of Richard A. Sly, our experienced legal professionals are committed to working tirelessly to help each of our clients secure the maximum possible benefits, and we will work on their cases for as long as it takes to ensure they are able to obtain the best possible outcomes to their claims.
Learn More During a Free Initial Consult
To discuss your case, learn more about your rights and get your claim started at no upfront cost, call us toll free at 503-224-0436 or email us using the form on the upper right side of this page. We offer free initial consultations, are conveniently located in downtown Portland near public transportation, and serve clients throughout the states of Washington and Oregon.