Disability Benefits for those with Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease is a degenerative condition that affects the central nervous system and is characterized by various symptoms, including difficulty walking, rigidity and a general shakiness; in later stages of the condition, a person will likely experience difficulty thinking, depression and possibly even dementia. Given the significant impacts that Parkinson’s disease can have on an individual’s mobility, cognition and mental health, it can prevent people from being able to work and, in such cases, will likely qualify affected individuals for Social Security Disability benefits.
Qualifying for Disability Benefits with Parkinson’s Disease
In the event that a person is suffering from Parkinson’s disease and his condition is so severe that it impacts his ability to work, he can obtain federal disability benefits by providing some specific proof to the Social Security Administration (SSA). In general, the required proof involves medical reports and other official documentation that:
- Establish an official diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease
- Provide details of the individual’s medical history
- Verify the nature and severity of an individual’s symptoms, as well as their specific impacts on a person’s ability to function
- Have been written by the individual’s physician(s) and/or qualifying medical professionals (according to the SSA).
Help with Your Parkinson’s Disease Disability Claim
If you or a loved one is no longer able to earn a living due to Parkinson’s disease or any type of medical condition, it’s best that you do NOT try to deal with the Social Security Administration on your own. This system can be painfully complicated, and one wrong move could result in your legitimate disability claim being denied or unnecessarily delayed. In fact, about 65 percent of all new claims are denied.
To give yourself the best chances of obtaining a favorable outcome to your case, you will need the help of an experienced attorney who can help guide you through the Social Security process to help you secure the federal disability benefits you need and deserve.
Portland Social Security Disability and SSI Lawyer at the Law Firm of Richard A. Sly
For more than 30 years, our Portland Social Security Disability and SSI lawyer Richard A. Sly has been committed to helping his clients obtain the maximum possible disability benefits. While he is skilled at building his clients the strongest possible cases so that they have optimal chances of securing benefits the first time they present their case, he also has a proven track record of success when it comes to handling denials or appeals. Some of the specific ways that Richard Sly is able to do this time and again for his clients include by:
- Getting timely and accurate information from their doctors
- Working with the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation
- Obtaining evidence from their friends, family members, neighbors and co-workers
- Working diligently to build each of his clients the strongest possible cases
- Flawlessly presenting their cases and advocating their rights in any necessary setting (including before the Social Security Administration, their Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR), their Appeals Council and in the U.S. District and Circuit Courts).
At the Law Office of Richard A. Sly, our respected and seasoned legal professionals are committed to working tirelessly to help each of our clients secure the benefits to which they are entitled, and we will work on their cases for as long as it takes to ensure they are able to obtain the best possible outcomes.
To discuss your case for free and get your claim started at no cost, call us toll free at 503-224-0436 or email us using the form on the upper right side of this page. We offer free initial consultations, are conveniently located in downtown Portland near public transportation, and serve clients throughout the states of Washington and Oregon.