SSDI & SSI Answers: What Do Representative Payees Have to Report to the SSA?

On June 18, 2016

A look at the changes representative payees must report to the SSA

A look at the changes representative payees must report to the SSA

Representative payees are responsible for reporting a number of circumstances to the Social Security Administration (SSA) in order to ensure that officials are aware of any changes that could impact beneficiaries’ payments.

Clarifying more about representative payees’ duties, below we have pointed out the top 5 reporting responsibilities representative payees have when it comes to beneficiaries of federal disability benefits.

What Representative Payees Must Report to the SSA

  1. Location changes – If a beneficiary moves to a new residence or moves into a hospital (or other care-delivering facility, such as a nursing home or hospice) to treat his or her condition, representative payees are required to inform the SSA of these types of moves. Other location-related  changes that the SSA wants to know about (when it comes to beneficiaries receiving disability benefits) include (but may not necessarily be limited to):
    • International travel that will last for longer than 30 days
    • Incarceration that will last longer than 30 days
    • Court-ordered institutionalization for those with mental impairments who have been convicted of criminal offenses.
  2. Income-related changes – When a federal disability beneficiary starts receiving new income – including that from a new job or from other public benefits, these changes must also be reported by the representative payee to the SSA. Here, it’s important to point out that:
    • If the beneficiary is married and his or her spouse experiences any income-related changes, these changes may also have to be reported to the SSA.
    • Income from private sources (like private disability insurance benefits) will not necessarily have to be reported to federal authorities (as this type of income does not impact benefit awards or amounts).
  3. Certain relationship changes – Representative payees will need to report beneficiaries’ marriages, divorces and/or legal separations to the SSA. Additionally, the SSA will need to be informed if or when beneficiaries who are children are adopted or when their parents divorce.
  4. Certain medical or health changes – Any improvements to beneficiaries’ medical conditions will need to be reported ASAP to the SSA. To closely monitor changes to beneficiaries’ medical conditions, the SSA will also periodically audit cases.
  5. Other changes – Additional changes that representative payees are required to report to the SSA include (but may not be limited to):
    • The death of a beneficiary
    • Anyone party moving into or out of the beneficiary’s home
    • The beneficiary wants to change his or her representative payee
    • The beneficiary no longer needs a representative payee.

Contact Portland Disability & SSI Lawyer Richard A. Sly

For experienced help applying for federal disability and/or SSI benefits, contact Portland Disability & SSI Lawyer Richard A. Sly.

For more than 30 years, Attorney Richard A. Sly has been dedicated to helping his clients navigate the complexities of the SSA so that they can secure the benefits they need and deserve.

To discuss your case for free and get your claim started at no cost, call us toll free at (503) 406-1471 or email us using the form on the upper right side of this page. We offer free initial consultations, are conveniently located in downtown Portland near public transportation, and serve clients throughout the states of Washington and Oregon.


For more information about the SSA’s representative payee program, click here.

Categories: Social Security Disability, Social Security Disability Benefits for Injuries, Social Security Disability Benefits for Mental Conditions, SSI Supplemental Security Income